The information contained here is only a non-binding selection of the transport and import restrictions that apply in the relevant countries. For further information, please contact the official representatives of the country of destination.
- toner and printer cartridges to all non-European countries (zone 2 for letters/zones 4-6 for URGENT/PostPac International) and to Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Carbon dioxide
- Compressed gases
- Explosive substances
- Flammable substances
- Radioactive materials
- Oxide carriers, organic peroxides
- Toxic substances
- Corrosive substances
- Dangerous materials (e.g. dry ice, asbestos, magnetic substances)
- Armaments, weapons and ammunitions
- Live animals (Exceptions: bees, leeches, silkworms, parasites and beneficial insect predators)
- Anaesthetics and psychotropic substances (Exceptions: substances being sent for medical or scientific purposes to countries in which they are permitted)
- Obscene or immoral items
- Banknotes and precious metals (B securities)
Contents that are forbidden
- The dispatch of dangerous goods pursuant to the International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations and the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR) via URGENT is strictly forbidden.
- Shipping of the "Samsung Galaxy Note 7" is prohibited until further notice.
Examples (note: this list is not exhaustive):
- Explosive, easily flammable, radioactive or other hazardous materials
- Substances which pose a hazard to the staff of Swiss Post and TNT, other items or Swiss Post and TNT installations
- Live animals
- Narcotics and psychotropic substances (e.g. sedatives, hallucinogenic drugs, amphetamines), cannabidiol (CBD)
- Obscene or immoral items
- Armaments and weapons
- Drugs for individuals (Exception: items sent to doctors, institutes of medicine or pharmacies)
- Securities ("A" securities)
- Banknotes and precious metals ("B" securities), jewellery
- Tobacco and all tobacco products, e-cigarettes.
Contents permitted under certain circumstances
Under certain circumstances exceptions can be made to the dispatch of medical or veterinary samples (especially for not contaminated goods to be used for medical or scientific purposes).
Foodstuffs (e.g.chocolate) and/or perishable goods may be sent via URGENT only in certain circumstances.
If you have questions or in case of doubt, please consult our URGENT customer service at +41 800 45 45 45.
Swiss Post GLS
The following goods are not authorized for transport (export and import): Dangerous goods in accordance with IATA and ADR regulations (explosives, dyes, paints, etc.), live animals, plants and seeds (further restrictions possible depending on the incoterm label used), weapons of any kind1, perishable goods, personal effects, mortal remains, currencies or documents with a nominal value, gemstones, precious metals, works of art, goods with an A.T.A. carnet, alcoholic goods, temporarily imported goods, processing traffic (inward/outward) and food. Exceptions are possible with the approval of Swiss Post GLS. The goods shall be packed in a safe manner for transport.
The use of wooden boxes and pallets must be settled in advance.
The maximum allowable value per package is EUR 5'000. With an additional agreement, the maximum permitted value per package can be increased to EUR 10'000.
Items permitted under certain circumstances
In exceptional cases, dangerous goods may be sent abroad to certain countries in limited quantities if a mandatory special permit has been obtained. Additional information can be called up under Dangerous goods (see under www.swisspost.ch/dangerous-goods-international).
Items that contain passports are checked carefully by the customs authorities in the destination country. These customs checks may result in delays and even in items being confiscated. Please note that restrictions may apply to the import of passports in certain countries. Please enquire with the authorities in the destination country before sending such items.
Imports of personal effects such as used clothes and shoes can be delayed by customs control and can entail additional charges. Country-specific information can be obtained by phoning our Customer Service on +41 848 48 48 47.